My stay in Germany will soon be over - what now?
Your stay is coming to an end and we hope that you had a nice time with us.
Now you have a choice:
- Would you like to continue your studies (e.g. Master's, postgraduate) or even do a doctorate?
Find out about your possibilities at your home university or university in Germany at an early stage.
- Would you like to stay in Germany and look for a job?
Visit the Make it in Germany website to find out more about what to look out for.
- Would you like to go back to your home country?
Then please make sure you have settled all important matters locally.
Below you will find some hints on what you should pay attention to:
- Do I have all the necessary grades or credits from the university?
- Have I cancelled my room/apartment at the appropriate time?
Attention: For some landlords the notice period can be three months. Check your tenancy agreement in good time to make sure you don't lose any money.
- Have I cancelled my main or secondary residence with the city?
- Did I get my deposit (if deposited) back in full?
- Have I cancelled all contracts at the appropriate time? (mobile phone, radio licence fees, electricity, internet/ telephone...)
- Have I informed my health insurance company of my departure date?
- Has my German bank account been cancelled on my departure date?
...and after all: Take enough time to say goodbye to your new friends.